Eligibility and the application process
Your application journey
Our application process has been designed to make it as easy as possible for you to apply.
Subject to your qualifications and experience, there are two ways to participate in the scheme – the Certified Management & Business Educator and the Associate Management & Business Educator.
Who can apply?
The scheme is for those who teach, or lead learning and teaching activities, in the fields of business and management. This includes educators in the fields of economics, accounting and finance, as well as those delivering business and management education in other schools such as engineering.
The scheme is open to permanent members of staff and adjuncts, and will also be available to relevant educators in non-Chartered ABS business schools.
Certified Management & Business Educator
Individuals must meet each of the following criteria:
1. Complies with at least ONE of the following entry standards:
- Qualification and Experience:
i. holds a teaching qualification accepted by the Chartered ABS (minimum HEA Fellow, PGCert in teaching, or equivalent) AND
ii. has been educating in a higher education institution (which can include leading key learning and teaching activities) for the previous year and for at least a total of 3 out of the last 5 years
- Extensive Experience without Qualification:
i. has been teaching in a higher education institution for more than 5 years AND
ii. can evidence delivering teaching, or leading key learning and teaching activities, for at least the equivalent number of hours as 20% of FTE per year
- Via AMBE route:
has completed 3 consecutive years of CPD as an Associate Management & Business Educator (see below)
2. Is currently an active educator in a higher education institution (teaching in English) - either by directly providing teaching & learning to students, or by leading key learning and teaching activities in the fields of business and management.
3. Is able to identify and outline their own development needs at the beginning of each year.
4. Commits to undertake 40 hours CPD within the next 12 months.
5. Commits to being able to provide evidence of CPD undertaken, with supporting reflective statements, if required to do so.
Associate Management & Business Educator
Individuals who do not meet the CMBE criteria and wish to work towards it can do so if they complete 3 consecutive years of CPD and meet the following criteria:
- Is currently an active educator in a higher education institution (teaching in English) - either by directly providing teaching & learning to students, or by leading key learning and teaching activities, in the fields of business and management.
- Is able to identify and outline their own development needs at the beginning of each year.
- Commits to undertake 40 hours CPD within the next 12 months.
- Commits to being able to provide evidence of CPD undertaken, with supporting reflective statements, if required to do so.
The AMBE subscription does not give the subscriber a designation of 'AMBE'. It is pathway towards CMBE.
Applying for a CMBE or AMBE subscription is straightforward.
If you are applying to become a CMBE, you will be asked to provide the following as part of your application:
- Evidence of your qualifications and experience
- A brief outline of your development needs for the year ahead
The application form will take approximately 5 minutes to complete, and your progress will be saved if you need to return to it later.
If you are applying to join the AMBE scheme you do not have to provide evidence of qualifications/experience, but you will have the option to do so.
If you have any questions before you apply, get in touch at email@example.com.
Individuals from institutions within the Chartered ABS membership: The cost for an annual subscription for CMBE and AMBE is £100.
Individuals from institutions outside the Chartered ABS membership: The cost for an annual subscription for CMBE and AMBE is £150.
This will be payable on approval of your application. Subscriptions can be paid directly or added to the registration payment for a Chartered ABS event.
Step 3. Start your application
Once you have submitted your application it will be processed by the CMBE administration team, and we will aim to contact you within 7 working days to let you know if your application has been approved.
When completing your application you make a commitment to undertake continuous professional development and reflection. As a CMBE or an AMBE, you must complete 40 units of CPD annually in accordance with the claimable activities and outputs.
Approval and the CMBE designation
Once your CMBE application has been approved, and your subscription has been activated, you will be provided with a certificate and you will be able use the CMBE designation after your name, as recognition of your expertise, experience and commitment to develop your practice.
If you are an AMBE, this cannot be used as a designation, but you can start working towards becoming a CMBE.
Undertaking and recording CPD
We recognise CPD can be undertaken through a range of providers or within your institution. So long as you can demonstrate it has contributed to your development as an educator, we will accept it.
The Chartered ABS offers our own range of CMBE CPD events, workshops and programmes. View CMBE CPD Provision.
We will provide you with an online CMBE profile which you can use to record your CPD throughout the year. You do not have to keep your profile up-to-date but you do have to keep records of your CPD somewhere. If you are selected for auditing you will have to file evidence of your CPD through your profile.