Derby Business School
Salary - £55,610 to £73,006 per annum
Reports to - PVC Dean
Line Management Responsibility - Yes
Job Description and Person Specification
As part of the University’s broader leadership team, this role will require you to work with other academic leads to support the University’s strategic aims. Whilst predominantly around academic insights, this role will also require you to engage with all areas of the University to lead / support cross-organisational activity / projects.
You will also provide stategic and operational leadership within the College as directed by the PVC Dean specialising within the spectrum of learning and teaching, research, international partnerships and/or academic enterprise. You will work with Heads of School and other members of the College Leadership Team to operationalise strategic objectives, enhancing the student experience and ensuring successful delivery of the College Business Plan.
- In collaboration with other academic areas and the Centre for Excellence in Learning & Teaching, drive forward the provision of an excellent student experience and outstanding student performance across the University / College.
- As part of the University’s academic leadership team, develop and embed a culture of continuous improvement and innovation that aligns to organisational priorities.
- Proactively seek opportunities to innovate across the spectrum of learning & teaching, including the use of digital technologies, research and academic enterprise.
- Strengthen research links between teams and the wider University, encouraging interdisciplinary research initiatives.
- Pro-actively engage with the Delivery Operations and Leadership Group (DOLG) to allow effective, cohesive and coordinated delivery of key services across the institution, both responding to University Executive Board (UEB) and Vice-Chancellors Executive (VCE) but also providing recommendations to support this.
- In collaboration with the leads for research and academic enterprise and Heads of School strategically develop relationships, pipelines and income streams to enhance third stream activity.
- Provide strong leadership to academics (taking direct line management responsibilities as agreed) developing a culture of ownership and accountability and maximising people potential.
- Responsible for formulating operational plans that support the delivery of strategic objectives and key performance indicators for the College.
- Support the PVC Dean in the achievement of financial plans for the College, and manage the operational and financial planning and budgetary control for resources, including staffing and equipment.
- Oversee curriculum development, identifying trends in student demands, anticipating emerging requirements and ensuring the promotion of employability, enterprise and inclusion across programmes.
- Work closely with the PVC Dean and Heads of School to identify, create and exploit new opportunities in order to secure additional income streams and new areas of teaching, research, international or commercial activities.
- Where appropriate, lead on designated cross-University activity and initiatives.
- Play a leading role in the validation of new programmes and continuous improvement initiatives for existing course provision across the College. Be a strategic link with Centre for Quality Assurance on matters of academic standards.
- Ensure appropriate allocation of workloads within the College, developing and embedding appropriate utilisation of the University’s academic workload planning processes/tools and the associated management information outputs.
- Maintain own academic standing and authority as appropriate, through teaching, research and scholarly
- Develop and maintain an external profile. Engage with relevant national and international debates and with professional institutes, practitioner societies and governmental committees.
- Represent the University / College on relevant internal and external committees, networks and working groups, chairing these meetings where appropriate.
- Support and facilitate communication channels across the College for both staff and students.
- Deputise for the PVC Dean as required.
- Undertake any other duties as reasonably requested by the PVC Dean.
- PhD level qualification or its equivalent in an academic discipline related to the work of the College.
- Evidence of Continuing Professional Development.
- Fellowship or Senior Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy (HEA).
- Extensive teaching experience in HE and a good understanding of the HE sector and current issues.
- Significant senior leadership experience in Higher Education.
- Experience of defining operational plans and ensuring strategic development in line with corporate goals, with an associated demonstrable track record of their successful delivery.
- Delivery of research outputs in an appropriate area.
- Experience of building capacity and capability of staff, including in relation to commercial and research activity, with a proven ability to deliver through people.
- A successful record of leadership on the student experience, employability and quality assurance.
Skills, knowledge & abilities
- The ability to communicate the University and College vision for the future and the ability to translate and operationalise that vision, inspiring and drawing on the support of staff.
- In depth understanding of the student experience, employability and academic quality assurance, with a successful record of leadership on in relation to these matters.
- Innovative and creative.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, negotiation and networking skills.
- Excellent team player.
- Strong business skills and commercial acumen and ability to manage budgets.
- Highly regarded academic and people leader with a proven ability to deliver through people.
- Insightful knowledge of external sector requirements and influences (e.g. funding bodies, financial obligations, statutes) and related implications.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally for University business.
- Occasional evening and weekend working.
- Relevant professional qualification / Membership of professional body related to the College portfolio of Business, Law and Social Sciences
- Successful development of international collaborations, recruitment of international students and internationalisation of the curriculum.
- Experience of undertaking successful bids for external funding.
- Experience of successful inter-disciplinary developments.
- Experience of leading culture change and implementation of new and innovative approaches to academic delivery.
As well as competitive pay scales, we offer generous holiday entitlement. We also offer opportunities for further salary progression based on performance, and the opportunity to join a contributory pension scheme.
The University of Derby is committed to promoting equality, diversity and inclusion. However you identify, we actively celebrate the knowledge, experience and talents each person brings
For more information on the benefits of working at the University of Derby go to the Benefit pages of our website.
For more information, and to apply for this role, please click here.